This year, Mothers everywhere get a little extra gift at the end of their May 10th Mother’s Day celebrations. May 11th is National Eat What You Want Day, a day dedicated to indulgence. The one day out of the year you’re supposed to eat everything and anything you desire without a trace of guilt. For most people this means giving in to those urges for a greasy burger, a rich chocolate cake, a platter of nachos, pretty much all the cravings we normally suppress through the day.
For others, though, National Eat What You Want Day is a day to bring out all their weird snacks and food combinations that they’re normally shamed for. The mixtures that make the average person cringe or possibly even gag, yet a solid few still stand proudly behind. To celebrate today properly, we gathered all the weirdest food combinations and snacks we could from around the US and put them into this list. Enjoy!
Actually, you might not want to enjoy these foods…
1. Hot Cheetos and Milk. This is a combination I’ve seen around for years, even had a few friends who swore by the combination. Still, I wasn’t willing to try it. This isn’t the first time Hot Cheetos were mixed with dairy products to create a new Frankenfood, some people also swear by Hot Cheetos and cream cheese!
2. Coca-Cola and Fried Chicken. This combo has a special way of hitting your imaginary taste-buds wrong. However, using Coke to fry chicken in to make ‘Cola-Chicken’ is actually so popular that Coca-Cola’s website even has a recipe for it! The sweet and salty mixture doesn’t sound too bad when you think of the other sweet flavors we mix our chicken with like sweet barbeque or teriyaki and pineapple.
3. String Cheese and Peanut Butter. Depending on what your taste is, this combo might not sound so bad. Whether you prefer to try dipping the whole string cheese into the peanut butter jar and biting into it, or you’d like to spread some peanut buttery goodness onto each string of cheese; this is a more mild combination to start with if you’re feeling adventurous.
Talking about peanut butter…
4. Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise. From the same people that advocated for peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, comes the peanut butter and mayo sandwich… I really don’t know what else to say on this one. This combination is surprisingly popular in the South. Supposedly, the mayo adds an extra “creaminess” to the peanut butter.
5. Bananas and Bacon. This odd combo often has a third partner dragged into it: peanut butter. It really seems that peanut butter is a favorite to mix with all the flavors out there. The sweetness of the banana perfectly offsets the saltiness of the bacon to create magic for your taste buds. Or so that’s what they claim. This is a combination said to be popular with The King himself, Elvis Presley.
6. Popcorn and Ketchup. While it does sound weird at first, this mixture isn’t as bad as some of the others on our list. Not that I’m going to jump on the opportunity to try it or anything…
7. Peanuts and Coke. Here’s another combination that is very popular in the South popping up to make us question everything. Dropping a handful of peanuts into your ice-cold Coca-Cola and then drinking it may sound particularly wrong, but don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!
So, that’s our list! Have you tried any of these weird combinations? Do you like any of them? Let us know!